Monday 26 February 2007

Getting to know yourself......

Well here it is guys and gals, week 4's lecture on Masturbation. I don't think there's any need for me to begin with an explanation of what masturbation is :P we all know what it is!

So let's get down to business n all that jazz. Well, to me masturbation is a persons own thing, who are we to tell someone not to masturbate? That's insane. What a person does with his or her private parts is well...private! I found the information about society's views on masturbation and how it's changed very interesting. I mean, to wear an entire body suit to prevent a person from masturbating at night is just ridiculous! Some physicians, scientists, philosophers, and religious leaders believed that illnesses such as insanity, vision and hearing problems, epilepsy and mental retardation were caused by masturbation and something like over 60% of medical and mental illnesses were blamed on masturbation! It's amazing how society has changed dramatically and now masturbation is talked abour freely an jokingly throughout society. During the lecture when we were told about how the fear of masturbation was so big that extreme preventative measures were used including the use of mechanical restraints and genital surgery!!!

Here is a useful website that I found some of my information such as the ways they used to prevent masturbation:

1. Simple Bondage-- For some, the simple answer was to tie the masturbators up and prevent them from touching themselves

2. The Cage-- The Handbook of Medicine in 1885 offered a metal cage that could be put around a boys genitals. It would allow erections, which weren't seen as wrong, yet would prevent the boy from touching himself.




3. Sexual Armor-- A jacket with leather pants which supports a large piece of steel armor. Perforations in the armor allowed urine to escape, yet the bolted, padlocked trapdoor at the rear would have to be opened for other business...

To me that is just insane to think you are a prisoner in your own body wearing a full body armour. It's a humans own right to be able to pleasure themselves and I see nothing wrong with it. Fair enough if people start doing it in public or something then yes that's wrong but in the privacy of your own home then go ahead I say!


Me personally I don't do it at all really, I have done in the past to experiment..as you do hehe, but I'm not a regular for "flickin' the bean" as they say. Speaking of which, I found a site for Masturbation slang words which is quite funny :P some of them were mentioned in the lecture already and some of them are just plain odd!

I think a person should be free to explore themselves in whatever way they feel comfortable. I think its a good thing for a man or woman to know their own body and if someone enjoys masturbating then they shouldnt' be embarassed about it or think its wrong to do so. I think the only time masturbation can become a bad thing is if like I said it is done in public or in an appropriate place where someone might see. To me its a very personal thing and should be done in a persons own private time. Last week it was mentioned whether it is ok to masturbate while in a relationship. I think it is ok and isnt wrong at all because its purely a persons own choice and doesn't affect anyone else.


Masturbation isnt something you should be ashamed of in my opinion, its just a matter of whatever floats your boat! I suggest a look in Ann Summers, they have a lot of variety I've heard :P

Peace xxx









1 comment:

lula said...

Hi Emma, Thought i would respond with my ideas. Well, i really didn't know there were sooo many terms for masterbation, it was eye opening. As for the act itself, i agree with you that it is a perfectly natural human experience but should be kept a private thing...god forbid we should all go round doing it in public Lol.

Like you i've experimented but can take it or leave it. Not that it's not fun and enjoyable though. I have done it while in a relationship, not as a supplement but in addition, as a way of bringing fun, intimacy and experimentation... and hey, i can recommend it!!

I think it is really weird to think that in times gone by, people, even eminent doctors etc, attributed so many ailments to masturbation, it is bizarre. And yet now it would probably be seen as being helpful, when you think of all the pent up tension, anxiety or aggression that can be relieved by masturbation or sex, after all, isn't there a theory that we are a bundle of energy and that energy has to go somewhere...if not expresses through sex or masturbation, could not some of it go in to somatic symptoms such as headaches, bachaches etc. Just writing that, i can imagine men everywhere saying to there partners "come on, it will cure your headache" lol.

Oh well, enough of my rambling. Speak soon, Claire