Tuesday 1 May 2007

The smoking ban

On July 1st 2007 the smoking ban will take effect in the UK. This will mean that it is illegal to smoke in any enclosed building or area open to the public such as pubs, restaurants, places of work etc.

People who break this law can face on-the-spot fines of £50 and even up to £1000 if the charges are brought to court.

The exact requirements for this law are as followed:

•Display specific signage in a prominent position at each entrance.
• Premises signage must contain the wording "No smoking. It is against the law to smoke in these premises."
• Secondary 'employee only' entrances require a smoking prohibition symbol of at least 70mm Dia.
• Entrances to smoke-free premises within other smoke-free premises require a smoking prohibition symbol of at least 70mm Dia.
• All public transport plus business vehicles need to display a no smoking symbol.

My view on the whole thing is yes in the long run it will be good for everyone because its not fair on people who hate smoking have to put up with other people's second hand smoke. Its also good for people like me who work in bars because we wont have to spend ages sweeping up all the cigarette ends and cleaning ash trays with bits of old chewing gum stuck to things and whatnot.

However, I do smoke sometimes myself and enjoy a cigarette with my diet coke when I'm in the pub sitting with my friends. I'm not addicted I must add and just enjoy it sometimes and I will miss nt ebing able to do tat. On the other hand I suppose its come at a good time because if I do carry on smoking casually like I do then it would probably turn into a full blown addiction and that can't be good!

I think I see the good and bad points of it. You can't sell cigarettes in every newsagent, supermarkets and offlicense but then say oh but you can't smoke them anywhere and have to be so far from a public building if you're smoking outside. Where will people smoke? hahaha. Well there's still homes I guess. I think it will be good in the long run, just a pain in th arse to get used to for a lot of people :P

However, I am really going to miss me and my friend Jennie (HI JENNIE!) sitting with our glasses of wine and cigarette having a good old natter. I guess when winter comes we'll have to make use of those gloves, scarves and wooly hats and take our wine outside :P

I suppose to conclude, its not TOO bad and will benefit people's health.

If you want to find out more about the smoking bad then clickety click the link
I'll leave you with these images of sexyness and smoking
peace xxx











No comments: